Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Amazing

Kids are really amazing.  I mean truly amazing.  Noah might be a little more amazing than most, but of course I'm just slightly biased. ; )

On almost a daily basis he says or does something that just knocks my socks off and I think to myself, "when did you learn to do that?" or "how did you know that?" or "oh my gosh, how did you remember that?". 

We have a storybook about a mom and her little boy.  The mom sings to her son "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, As long as I'm living, My baby you'll be."  The book makes it through our nighttime rotation occasionally, but it's not consistent.  At the dinner table and out of the blue, Noah sang the song... completely.  Several weeks ago he started singing the ABCs.  We'd sing it to him, but without any participation on his part and then all of a sudden he can sing the whole song?  Yesterday he counted to fourteen on the way home from school.  He says words like "ambulance" and "quesadilla" out of nowhere and says them very clearly.  I have to ask him to repeat himself not because I don't understand what he's saying, but because I didn't know he knew that word, much less how to pronounce it so well.  His memory often surprises me.  He is an excellent observer even when he's pretending to be occupied elsewhere.  He was playing with his trains in the living room and I was in the kitchen talking about how he sang his ABCs that day.  Without looking up or even a pause in playing, he starts singing his ABCs.  Normally, when we visit the doctor, he would get upset the second they call his name.  He wouldn't stand on the scale, wouldn't let them take his temp, and would be very tentative with the doc as she examined him from my lap.  This week we went to the doc and when they called his name, he got up, walked in the door, and didn't even so much as look back to make sure I was behind him.  He stepped up on the scale (27lbs) all by himself.  He was sitting in his own chair in the exam room and when the doc walked in, he opened his mouth so she could look in without her even asking.  It was a complete 180. 

Noah is changing so much and I had to write these stories down while they're fresh on my mind.  All of this just makes me realize that he's turning into a kid right before my eyes, and a smart kid at that.  I am SO proud of my amazing boy! 

No comments: